Friday, July 16, 2010

Reading Recommendation

One of the beautiful things about a "staycation" is all of the reading i can get done! I just finished an excellent book entitled Life of Pi. I highly recommend this amazing story of faith and survival centered on a young Indian boy named Pi who survives a shipwreck on the Pacific Ocean. He is the son of a zoologist and let's just say that zoo animals play largely in this creative work of fiction. One of the better books I've ever read.

When I read I like to note quotes that stand out. Even in this work of fiction there were many quotes that were great. Here is a sampling:

* "The presence of God is the finest of rewards."
* "Evil in the open is but evil from within that has been let out."
* "The main battlefield for good is not the open ground of the public arena but the small clearing of each heart."
* "I have a story to tell that will make you believe in God."
* "Religion is more than rite and ritual. There is what the rite and ritual stand for."
* "I must say a word about fear. It is life's only true opponent. Only fear can defeat life."
* "To choose doubt as a philosophy of life is akin to choosing immobility as a means of transportation."
* "If you take two steps toward God, God runs to you."


No comments:

Post a Comment