Tuesday, June 22, 2010

As If This Story Couldn't Get Any Stranger

PETA has found religion! The extreme animal rights group has offered the Solid Rock Church in Monroe, OH grant money to rebuild the "King of kings" statue (you may have known it as "Touchdown Jesus" or "Big Butter Jesus"). They would want the statue built with Jesus holding a lamb with the inscription, "Blessed are the merciful. Go vegan." Now, don't get me wrong, I'm all for the ethical treatment of animals. But I am a carnivore, and there is nothing biblically wrong with that. Nor is there anything wrong with being a vegitarian or vegan. But one side should not impose its will on the other side. I find this story to be a bit funny, because I would have never thought that PETA had such a religious stance in their agenda. I learn something new everyday.

PETA offers to help rebuild 'Touchdown Jesus' - with a catch | cincinnati.com | Cincinnati.Com:

I couldn't help but laugh at Pastor Darlene Lawrence's response to this offier, ''We're not interested. We raise cattle. We would never build a statue with stipulations that we would have to advertise for PETA." For my part, I just hope they are raising their cattle ethically. If you want to know what that doesn't look like, then you need to watch Food, Inc. It is indeed eye opening, thought provoking, shocking, and sad. The average American consumer I fear either has no idea or care as to how they get the food that they get. I will always endorse buying organic and supporting local farmers. My two cents.


Anyway, this story about the statue is not going to go away anytime soon, and the stories that come out of it keep getting stranger and stranger (see my original blog on this topic and subsequent comments for past stories).

I leave you with this image below for your viewing pleasure. It is the PETA visualization of what they want their statue to look like (I must say the Jesus part is a drastic improvement over the original. Just sayin').






No comments:

Post a Comment